accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: remove wikisearch from 1.4.x development?
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 22:19:31 GMT
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey+ml@clouderagovt.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:
[snip]
> We would expressly not being claiming that wikisearch is a part of our
> public API, correct?

I don't understand this question.

> What kind of testing would be involved for doing a release of the
> wikisearch contrib? Just unit tests as is done with it as part of the 1.4.x
> branch?

Usually, when we do a release, we test that all the examples work
according to the relevant README, not just verify unit tests pass in
the build.

> Would the releases from the contrib repo need to have version numbers that
> match the 1.4.x line, or would a compatibility statement for each release
> be sufficient?

Well, Wikisearch has already been released as 1.4.0, 1.4.1, 1.4.2,
1.4.3, and 1.4.4. Now that it's a sub-project, we don't need to
continue versioning together if it will work with multiple versions,
but it could be confusing if it didn't. Imagine 1.4.4 WS is compatible
with 1.4.5 ACC, but then 1.4.6 introduces a change that causes us to
bump WS... now 1.4.5 WS is needed for 1.4.6 ACC, but won't work on
1.4.5 ACC. That's very confusing to users, even with a compatibility
statement.

Since you indicated that changes to Wikisearch 1.4.4 would be needed
to make it compatible with Hadoop 2 in Accumulo 1.4.5, it seems to
make sense to bump it also. Whether we should continue doing this or
not, is a discussion we can have at another time... I can see merits
in both options... but I wouldn't want to change the convention on a
bugfix/minor release even if we do agree to separate the versioning in
the future.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii