accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Deprecate mock in 1.6.0
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:16:44 GMT
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I may have convinced myself otherwise talking to Billie today.
>
> MockAccumulo has been the way it is for some time now (two, going on
> three, major releases). We know it's not ideal and has internal
> limitations. It doesn't make sense to me to devote more time into it
> knowing that. For the same

Its good to understand the history.  It was introduced in 1.3, major
improvements in behavior were made in 1.4,  mini was introduced in 1.5,  in
1.6 I feel like mock is adrift.

> reasons, it doesn't make sense for us to spend time moving it for the sake
> of moving it, because at the end of the day, it's still the same code it
> was before.
>
> 0 to deprecate under the notion that we have other stuff that we can work
> on that's likely more pressing. I'd say -1, but if someone feels that it is
> worth the effort, I'm not one to tell them not to do it.

I think clearly communicating things we developers know to users should be
a pressing matter.  I suppose we can choose to let users find out the true
state of things on their own.

I do agree that this discussion has been a time sink.  At this point I am
just going to give up on this issue.  I will not take any action to
deprecate mock and I also will not add conditional writer support to it.
 So the matter is settled for me.

For future discussion, if you vote -1 and someone ask you a direct question
please answer.  Your votes are what prevent someone from moving forward, so
you need to defend them.