accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop 2.0 Support for Accumulo 1.4 Branch
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2013 21:49:44 GMT
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM, William Slacum <
wilhelm.von.cloud@accumulo.net> wrote:

> The language of ACCUMULO-1795 indicated that an acceptable state was
> something that wasn't binary compatible. That's my #1 thing to avoid.

Ah. So I see, not sure why I phrased that that way. Since the default build
should still be 0.20.203.0, I'm not sure how it'd end up not being binary
compatible. I can update the ticket to clarify the language. Any need to
compile should be limited to running Hadoop 2.2.0.

Sound good?

> > Maybe expressly only doing a binary convenience package for
> > 0.20.203.0?
>
> If we need an extra package, doesn't that mean a user can't just upgrade
> Accumulo?

By "binary convenience package" I mean the binary distribution tarball (or
rpms, or whatevs) that we make as a part of the release process. For users
of Hadoop 0.20.203.0, upgrading should be unchanged from how they would
normally get their Accumulo 1.4.x distribution.

ACCUMULO-1796 has some leeway about the convenience packages for people who
want Hadoop 2 support. On the extreme end, they'd have to build from source
and then run a normal upgrade process.

--
Sean