accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <busbey...@clouderagovt.com>
Subject Re: [1/2] git commit: ACCUMULO-1833 Rework the getBatchWriter method on MTBW to remove zookeeper lock contention and get better concurrent throughput.
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 17:27:29 GMT
On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey+ml@clouderagovt.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I believe that's a level of compatibility we haven't had in the past. Are
> > we sure we want to restrict ourselves like that?
> >

> I think its a good goal that causes less confusion over time.  It certainly
> does not have to be a hard and fast rule.  I think API changes in bug fix
> release should have a strong justification.

I agree in principle, however when we only have major and bugfix versions
something like this introduces another pressure to churn the major version
number.

I'm not generally one to worry about running out of numbers, but I do worry
about giving our users versioning fatigue. I also worry about the
maintenance overhead for devs; we still don't have any lifecycle plan for
major versions.

All-in-all, I think this comes back to the deeper discussion about what we
intend version number changes in Accumulo to signal. This general topic has
come up a few times, and we should probably get to a point where we have it
resolved.

Is now a good time for that discussion? Does it need to wait until
post-1.6.0?

--
Sean