accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code import for Apache Accumulo
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2013 03:34:06 GMT
(removing general@incubator because we don't need to keep spamming them
right now)

First, I talked to Benson who cleared up some confusion that I had.

"The question is the governance. If you're willing to adopt these people
as part of your community, you can do that. If your community chooses to
organize its code in two git repos, you can do that.  What you can't do
is create an umbrella in which they are a separate self-governing thing
inside your community. The accumulo PMC can even grant them commit to a
new repo, I think, in the same way that various communities grant commit
access to svn branches as part of their process of joining up with you."

In short, we can bring in raccumulo to Accumulo under our "governance".
If at some point raccumulo grows into its own community and wants to
have its own governance, it would have to go through incubator.

To me, it seems like incubator at this point would be premature (as
raccumulo is very tied to Accumulo and all interested parties so far are
from one company); however, I'm not one to tell you that you can't go
through incubation on your own.

As such, the best thing seems to me to bring in raccumulo under Accumulo
governance. To make this actually happen, the Accumulo PMC need to have
a vote as to whether or not we should do this.

PMC -- is there more discussion that wants to be had before moving to a
vote on the matter?

Eric + others -- any concerns with the path I've suggested?