accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject contrib vs. pushed to other projects
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 17:28:50 GMT
Heya,

I'm working on the docs for our contrib projects, and I noticed the Hive
Serde wasn't about. ACCUMULO-143[1] shows patch available, but it didn't
make it into a repo before the git move.

Based on the discussion back around the flume sink, my guess is things like
this should be in other projects if possible. However, this particular
contrib is basically the equivalent of hte Pig Storage contrib[2].

This leaves me with a few questions I'd like to get some consensus on:

1) Generally, do we want the contrib project guide to explicitly say that
interoperability projects should favor pushing Accumulo specific components
into other projects? (e.g. an Accumulo Sink for Flume)

2) Specifically for Hive, do want a contrib project added for this Serde,
or try to get it into Hive?

3) For consistency, would we prefer Accumulo-Pig get pushed into Pig (or
more likely Piggybank)?

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-143
[2]: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=accumulo-pig.git;a=summary
--