accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject open questions on contrib projects
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 18:56:57 GMT
I have two questions about contrib projects, one of which I think requires
a vote.

1) Are contributors to contrib repos treated the same as contributors ot
the main project?

I would guess they are, since the contrib repos are still under the
Accumulo project. I'd like to make sure Lazy Consensus agrees.

2) What is the process for adding a new contrib repo?

All I can find are occasional discussions in jiras. I would expect this to
need a similar level of agreement as a release, e.g. PMC majority[3]. But I
need something to reference before it would be appropriate for me to cite
it in the contrib docs.

Presuming an existing PMC agrees with me, could they please call a vote for
a bylaw addition for adding new contrib projects?

My suggested language follows below.

=====
[VOTE] Bylaws amendment for creating new Contrib repos

Please vote on the following addition to the Apache Accumulo bylaws:

----
# Adding a new Contrib Repository

Proposers are strongly encouraged to submit their proposal for discussion
to the developer mailing list prior to calling for a vote.

The addition of a new contrib repo under the Apache Accumulo project will
require a vote of existing PMC members. The vote shall have a 72 hour
voting window and require majority approval[1]. Following a successful
vote, an Accumulo PMC will submit the necessary

[1]: http://apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval
----

This vote will remain open for 72 hours and must have consensus approval[2]
to pass.

[2]: http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ConsensusApproval
=====

[3]: http://apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval