accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: remove wikisearch from 1.4.x development?
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 00:27:48 GMT
On Oct 21, 2013 6:36 PM, "Josh Elser" <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/21/13 3:46 PM, Keith Turner wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Heya,
>>>
>>> Back in the early days of 1.5 work, there was a Jira the move Wikisearch
>>> out into its contrib repo[1].
>>>
>>> For whatever reason, removing it didn't include the 1.4.x branch.
Before I
>>> file a jira to remove it, was there any particular reason for keeping
>>> another code base in the 1.4 branch?
>>>

>> I think the reasoning at the time was that it was in 1.4.0 and removing
it
>> would not be a bug fix.
>

> Yeah, this. It's not hurting anything by being there -- it was just
decided to be lifted out in later versions

it does increase the maintenance costs for 1.4. For example, it contains
some parts that will require Hadoop version specific updates for
ACCUMULO-1792.

Since Wikisearch isn't needed to run Accumulo and isn't in the defined
client API, why are changes to it considered breaking?

Someone have a subject line to help me search the archives for the previous
discussion?