accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Contributions from github pull requests and license grant
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:50:05 GMT
I don't recall a discussion happening about granting license to the ASF
when the repo moved to git. Looking at the git workflow guide[1], I don't
see any mention of licensing.

In other projects (e.g. Avro[2] and Hive[3]) assigning license to the ASF
is an important part of submitting a contribution. In those projects,
people are instructed to attach their patches to an open jira so that
license can be granted; pull requests from github generally aren't allowed.

Do we have a stance as a project on this? I think those two projects
basically say that the grant is required by the Apache License itself. Are
there ASF rules that can provide guidance on this?

-Sean

[1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html
[2]:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AVRO/How+To+Contribute#HowToContribute-Contributingyourwork