accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Newton <eric.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accumulo Versions (was Accumulo feature freeze in 1 week)
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2013 01:01:49 GMT
I think it's more like:

overhaul.major.minor

Minor: bug fixes
Major: small, gradual API changes
Overhaul: for the love of all that is holy... what have you done?!?

For example... changing the API of Iterators, switching away from
thrift or zookeeper, or losing the backwards compatibility of RFiles,
re-write everything in a different language and other project-killing
ideas.

Arguably the name changes that occurred with the transition to Apache
was a (necessary) overhaul.  If that was marketing, I think we were
doing it wrong.

-Eric

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM, John Vines <vines@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> +1 marketing.major.minor
>>

> For x.y.z, Christopher and I have discussed only incrementing x when
> deprecated methods are dropped.
>

>> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>> > When explaining X.major.minor versioning to people, I generally refer to
>> > as the "marketing" version. It gets incremented when the project wants to
>> > push for a separation in the minds of users.

>> our

>> 1.6.0
>> do
up pushing some stuff