accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Havanki <bhava...@cloudera.com>
Subject Appropriate changes to increase test reliability
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:07:21 GMT
Hello all,

We've often found while running Accumulo tests, at least under 1.4.x and
1.5.x, that we need to tweak aspects of the tests to get them to run more
reliably. This is usually extensions to timeouts defined for how long tests
should be allowed to run, how long shutdowns are expected to take, and the
like.

We suspect the need to make these changes arises from us running tests on
VMs, while the tests were perhaps originally aimed for execution on
dedicated physical resources.

Should we provide patches for these sort of changes, so that others get
increased reliability? Or, conversely, does this indicate issues with our
test environments? How open are the tests to being changed for reliability?

I welcome your thoughts. Thank you!

Bill

--
// - - -