accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Whyne <ericwh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: accumulo pull request: raccumulo Packaged: 2013-05-09 22:18:20 UTC; pgrim
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2013 22:14:54 GMT
1. I will take care fo the ASF ICLAs from contributors this week. I don't
think that's a problem based on conversations I've had.

2. CCLA I don't see any major hurdles to doing this, I'll set up some
discussions with other company leadership to move this forward. I'll be
advocating for this because I think it's a great idea.

3a. I don't see the contributed code being able to sustain a new
community.  Although there is a demand for the R interface this creates,
there's not many other directions or advancements that could be made that
would be useful to undertake independent of the core accumulo roadmap.

3b. After some discussion on our end, it's inclusion in the contrib where
the pull request places it is optimal for it's current state. It will make
an R interface to accumulo part of the core distribution. This could
potentially increase adoption of accumulo across more of the data science
community, I know it would intrigue us from a corporate standpoint...
that's why it was written.

3c. As a future roadmap for the capability, I suspect that there's a better
way to do what this code accomplishes (sans proxy?) and that the
functionality will get rolled somewhere into the rest of the project in a
better way. That effort would probably A: use large chunks of this code (so
you'd want to include it to ensure licensing and avoid potential conflicts)
and B: make any contrib project obsolete, leading to it's demise. If it's
an independent contrib project or incubating as an apache project a lot of
time would have been wasted. If it's part of the core distribution it
equates to merely moving a directory from the contrib section of the code
base PMC can feel free to remove the parts that are obsolete and much
confusion would be avoided.

4. We're willing to move forward with it in whatever way that makes sense
to all involved. The core developer (Phil Grim) has an interest in
maintaining the capability since we have customers depending on it. I think
the best way would be to keep our github fork updated and then just sending
maintenance pull requests as modifications are made on our end. Of course,
we'd be looking for guidance on how to best license it and
establishing/signing whatever we have to to ensure compliance with ASF
requirements.

R/
Eric