accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Appropriate changes to increase test reliability
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:56:43 GMT
On 18 October 2013 16:07, Bill Havanki <bhavanki@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We've often found while running Accumulo tests, at least under 1.4.x and
> 1.5.x, that we need to tweak aspects of the tests to get them to run more
> reliably. This is usually extensions to timeouts defined for how long tests
> should be allowed to run, how long shutdowns are expected to take, and the
> like.
>
> We suspect the need to make these changes arises from us running tests on
> VMs, while the tests were perhaps originally aimed for execution on
> dedicated physical resources.

it may just be slower machines: why not provide some overrideable timeouts.

> Should we provide patches for these sort of changes, so that others get
> increased reliability? Or, conversely, does this indicate issues with our
> test environments? How open are the tests to being changed for reliability?

VMs have odd clock drift, especially if you don't have enough RAM to stop
them being swapped out -time gets jerkier.

Try adding more memory to your physical hosts, make sure they are getting
host time not NTP, and that the TZs are consistent.

remember: they're not real machines

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE