accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: accumulo pull request: raccumulo Packaged: 2013-05-09 22:18:20 UTC; pgrim
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2013 18:22:47 GMT
Thanks again, Eric (and Phil).

It's awesome to see this amount of work put in to integrate with R. But,
personally, I don't think direct inclusion in Accumulo is the proper
place for it.

It definitely cannot be directly merged as such: we would need to make
sure we have ICLAs from all individuals and a CCLA from Data-Tactics (if
memory serves). Essentially, we need to make sure the proper paperwork
exists that the ownership is assigned to the ASF (instead of individuals
or Data-Tactics as the notices alternate between currently). Also, the
ASF has a general process for handling imports of code. [1]

It looks like it's missing any documentation on how to use it too, e.g.
the user needs to start an instance of the thrift proxy themselves, but
that's a little nit-picky on my end :)

Given the chatter on ACCUMULO-1804, it seems like it's desired for this
to be its own contrib repo as a part of the ASF. The next step here
would be for us to contact the ASF incubator to figure out the IP rules
and shake out any licensing concerns.

Let me know for sure and I can kick off a message to the incubator if
this is how you (and Data-Tactics) want to proceed. [2]

- Josh

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#import
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/

On 10/25/13, 12:13 PM, ericwhyne wrote:
> GitHub user ericwhyne opened a pull request:
>
>      https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/4
>
>      raccumulo Packaged: 2013-05-09 22:18:20 UTC; pgrim
>
>      This pull request is in response to this issue:
>      https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1804
>
>      What this code is:
>      Need to be able to support users who utilize RStudio to conduct analysis of data
residing in the Accumulo data space instead of moving data from one repository to a stand
alone system to have the analytic run in memory. RStudio should be able to make calls directly
to the data space and provide the output within the RStudio interface.