accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Hadoop 2 and Accumulo 1.6.0
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2013 23:05:08 GMT
To ensure that we get broader community interaction than only on a Jira
issue [1], I want to get community feedback about the version of Hadoop
which the default, deployed Accumulo artifacts will be compiled against.

Currently, Accumulo builds against a Hadoop-1 series release
(1.5.1-SNAPSHOT and 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT build against 1.2.1, and 1.5.0 builds
against 1.0.4). Last week, the Apache Hadoop community voted to release
2.2.0 as GA (general availability) -- in other words, the Apache Hadoop
community is calling Hadoop-2.2.0 "stable".

As has been discussed across various issues on Jira, this means a few
different things for Accumulo. Most importantly, this serves as a
recommendation by us that users should be trying to use Hadoop-2.2.0
with Accumulo 1.6.0. This does *not* mean that we do not support Hadoop1
([2] 1.2.1 specifically). Hadoop-1 support would still be "guaranteed"
by us for 1.6.0.

- Josh

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1419
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1643