accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: remove wikisearch from 1.4.x development?
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 00:40:53 GMT
On 10/21/13 5:27 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2013 6:36 PM, "Josh Elser" <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Before I
>>>>

>>> I think the reasoning at the time was that it was in 1.4.0 and removing
> it
>>> would not be a bug fix.
>>

>> Yeah, this. It's not hurting anything by being there -- it was just
> decided to be lifted out in later versions

Another reason as to why I'm not really for backporting the hadoop-2
support to 1.4 ;)

> it does increase the maintenance costs for 1.4. For example, it contains
> some parts that will require Hadoop version specific updates for
> ACCUMULO-1792.
>
> Since Wikisearch isn't needed to run Accumulo and isn't in the defined
> client API, why are changes to it considered breaking?

I wouldn't really have a problem removing wikisearch for a 1.4.5. I
would just want to see something in the release notes pointing users to
the git repo. IMO, there's absolutely no reason to fix up that code to
make it work with hadoop-1 and hadoop-2.