accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVN or GIT
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2013 18:41:22 GMT
Since we're on git now... to avoid confusion like this in the future
(not just from PMC/committers who may not have touched the code in
awhile, but also from users looking for the source)...

I think it would be useful to do what Thrift did, and replace the
existing source branches in SVN with a README
(https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/thrift/README?view=log). The SVN
history will still be there, and people will still be able to
reference tags, just like with thrift
(https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/thrift/tags/thrift-0.8.0/?pathrev=1419982).

I'm personally in favor of removing all of
{trunk,branches,contrib,tags} with a README, but if people insist on
{tags} remaining behind, I'd settle for replacing only the other
three. (Technically, the tags are still there... at the version they
were created... which is the only reliable way of referencing a tag in
SVN anyway... so that's why I don't mind removing them in SVN HEAD).

To make things easier on passers-by, we can document in the README,
the last commit that occurred in SVN, and provide a viewvc link
directly to that, and can also provide the svn command to check out
that revision.

Removing these paths from the SVN will help resolve any confusion
about where our current development activity is taking place.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM,  <dlmarion@comcast.net> wrote:
> Thanks Josh.

an option at this point, or do I need to move over to git. What's the latest?