accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Request for mentor for project on ACCUMULO-1197
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:33:03 GMT
I suspect people may be reluctant due to the unknown nature of making
changes to HDFS.  Perhaps if you could find someone to agree to be your
mentor on the HDFS side, it would be easier to find an Accumulo mentor for
the part of the project that involves integrating the HDFS changes with
Accumulo.

Billie

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Sreejith Ramakrishnan <
sreejith.code@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh. I saw the ticket. I'll try that direction as well. Also, what do you
> think are my odds at getting a mentor since its too close to the deadline?
>
> I'm still requesting mentorship since its a formality for the programme.
> Still keeping my hopes up.
>

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:45 PM, Billie Rinaldi
> <billie.rinaldi@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I realize there isn't a lot of time before the deadline, but if you are
> > interested in submitting a patch to HDFS I would encourage you to engage
> > with the HDFS community to see if they are interested in such a feature
> > increase the likelihood of your patch being accepted.  Their dev mailing
> > list is hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org.
> >
> > I found one reference to Dapper in the HDFS tickets, HDFS-4680.  The
> ticket
> > isn't about tracing, but Todd Lipcon comments that he's experimented with
> > adding tracing to Hadoop RPC and asks if people would find that useful.
> > (There doesn't appear to be a reply.)
> >
> > Billie
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Sreejith Ramakrishnan <
> > sreejith.code@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I think its a good idea to modify HDFS and Accumulo to support HTrace
> > since
> > > HBase has also started working in this direction. The progress made
> could
> > > benefit both projects. And also, HTrace follows the Dapper conventions.
> > >
> > > I'm not an expert. But from what I read in Google's paper and what's
> > being
> > > provided in HTrace, we can modify HDFS instrumentation to add a 64-bit
> > > span-id to the RPC when tracing is enabled. And on the receiver side,
> if
> > it
> > > receives a span-id, it shall also be traced with both the parent and
> > child
> > > nodes having the same trace-id.
> > >
> > > What do you think? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
> > >
> > > P.S: Also, the last date for application for the mentoring ends on 19th
> > > July. So, I request all the experts here to please let me know if
> you're
> > > ready to be a mentor. And I assure you, I won't bug you too much in
> your
> > > busy scheduler. It's a mandatory rule for the ICFOSS programme -
> > > http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html

> Wouldn't

> > > accepted

> and