accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Request for mentor for project on ACCUMULO-1197
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:15:47 GMT
I realize there isn't a lot of time before the deadline, but if you are
interested in submitting a patch to HDFS I would encourage you to engage
with the HDFS community to see if they are interested in such a feature to
increase the likelihood of your patch being accepted.  Their dev mailing
list is hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org.

I found one reference to Dapper in the HDFS tickets, HDFS-4680.  The ticket
isn't about tracing, but Todd Lipcon comments that he's experimented with
adding tracing to Hadoop RPC and asks if people would find that useful.
(There doesn't appear to be a reply.)

Billie

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Sreejith Ramakrishnan <
sreejith.code@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think its a good idea to modify HDFS and Accumulo to support HTrace since
> HBase has also started working in this direction. The progress made could
> benefit both projects. And also, HTrace follows the Dapper conventions.
>
> I'm not an expert. But from what I read in Google's paper and what's being
> provided in HTrace, we can modify HDFS instrumentation to add a 64-bit
> span-id to the RPC when tracing is enabled. And on the receiver side, if it
> receives a span-id, it shall also be traced with both the parent and child
> nodes having the same trace-id.
>
> What do you think? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> P.S: Also, the last date for application for the mentoring ends on 19th
> July. So, I request all the experts here to please let me know if you're
> ready to be a mentor. And I assure you, I won't bug you too much in your
> busy scheduler. It's a mandatory rule for the ICFOSS programme -
> http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html
>

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Sreejith Ramakrishnan <
> > sreejith.code@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Wouldn't modifying HDFS in any way mean forking the project? Wouldn't
> > that
> > > have problems in the long run?
> > >

> > Forking HDFS is not the way to go.  Getting your ideas and patches
> accepted
> > by HDFS is the way to go.

> > post

> > > please