accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Generic Supertypes/Pluggable Client
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 13:50:25 GMT
>  > While we're at it, it seems sense to make it pluggable. This has the
>  > advantage of providing backwards compatibility with the current API while
>  > still allowing us to tidy up moving forwards.
>  >
>  > I've opened an issue to document thoughts on this as well as a github
> pull
>  > request to document progress.
>  >
>  > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-1551
>  > https://github.com/ekohlwey/accumulo/compare/apache:trunk...ACCUMULO-1551
>
> Sweet. I look forward to checking out what you have already.

Interesting, Ed. Funny enough, I've written some similar code back in
the day [1], but when I ended up with a TypedScanner and realized that
this conversion is happening solely on the client, I decided it wasn't
worth the complexity in Accumulo's codebase.

Are you planning to re-write all of the necessary Thrift classes to
ensure this conversion happens server-side? If you're only intending on
client side, doesn't Guava's Function combined with Iterators#transform
and Iterables#transform do exactly what you've outlined? Are you more
looking for this baked for such a transformation to be baked-in?

Have you looked into Keith's Typo example? [2]

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-697
[2] https://github.com/keith-turner/typo