accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding windows-specific profiles to exclude unix-specific tests.
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2013 03:39:44 GMT
I do not think we should maintain separate profiles. If we were to
vote on that, I'd vote against for the following reasons:

1) It adds build complexity and is difficult to maintain
2) Restricting tests like this has the potential to mask serious bugs
3) It doesn't address the underlying compatibility problems

As an alternative, I'd rather see the code (or the tests) improved so
they function better in Windows. If it means that some code needs to
function differently on one environment than another, then the code
should do that check itself and behave accordingly. I don't see why
some blocks of code can't have a check for the OS, when absolutely
necessary (I suspect often it isn't necessary... there's probably more
platform-independent ways of doing what is failing):

if (System.getProperty("os.name").toLowerCase().contains("windows")) {
  // do stuff on windows
} else {
  // do other stuff
}