accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>
Subject Re: [git] Documentation and Plan of Action
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:44:49 GMT
How do we handle the following situation:

There are two active development branches - versions 1 and 2. Branch 1 uses
external library  version 7, while Branch 2 uses external library version
9. It is discovered that version 7 of the external library has a bug, with
a known workaround. In this case, the workaround should be applied to
branch 1, but does not need to be applied to branch 2. What is the
git-friendly way to make these changes, not merge them into the later
branch, but still have a proper history and allow future fixes against
branch 1 to merge cleanly?

Mike