accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>
Subject Re: [git] Documentation and Plan of Action
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 23:10:01 GMT
It was originally a general question, because I wasn't sure on what the
proper answer.

Actually, I'm still not quite clear - should the person who did the fix for
Version1 immediately do a merge into Version2 with an empty commit so that
history looks pretty? Or is it better to wait until the next merge and then
fix it as it happens? The first option sounds less liable to bite somebody
in the rear.

Probably worth expounding on the example work-flow in the documentation
though.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> The person who implements the workaround in Version1 should ensure that
> when Version1 is merged into Version2, the correct code is present in
> Version2.
>
> Do you think this merits a section on the document or was this a general
> question?
>

> On 6/11/13 11:44 AM, Mike Drob wrote:
>
>> How do we handle the following situation:
>>
>> There are two active development branches - versions 1 and 2. Branch 1
>> uses
>> external library  version 7, while Branch 2 uses external library version
>> 9. It is discovered that version 7 of the external library has a bug, with
>> a known workaround. In this case, the workaround should be applied to
>> branch 1, but does not need to be applied to branch 2. What is the
>> git-friendly way to make these changes, not merge them into the later
>> branch, but still have a proper history and allow future fixes against
>> branch 1 to merge cleanly?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Sean,
>>>
>>> I was referring to Christopher's notes on the maven commands; using the
>>> release plugin, making RCs, publishing to the ASF staging area, promoting
>>> to the RC if the vote passes, etc.
>>>
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.****org/mod_mbox/accumulo-dev/****
>>> 201305.mbox/%**
>>> 3CCAL5zq9bH8y0FyjXmmfXhWPj8axo****sn9dZ7%2Bu-R1DK4Y-WM1YoWg%**
>>> 40mail.gmail.com%3E<http://**mail-archives.apache.org/mod_**
>>> mbox/accumulo-dev/201305.mbox/**%**3CCAL5zq9bH8y0FyjXmmfXhWPj8axo**
>>> sn9dZ7%2Bu-R1DK4Y-WM1YoWg%**40mail.gmail.com%3E<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/accumulo-dev/201305.mbox/%3CCAL5zq9bH8y0FyjXmmfXhWPj8axosn9dZ7%2Bu-R1DK4Y-WM1YoWg%40mail.gmail.com%3E>
>>> >

>>> I don't believe that information is markdown-ified/CMS'ed at all.
>>>
>>> I did add the high-level release guide to that comment with a place
>>> holder
>>> for when we get the specifics also written down on the CMS.
>>>

>>> On 6/11/13 7:16 AM, Sean Busbey wrote:
>>>
>>>  Release Guide:

I've