accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron G <aarongm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GIT
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 13:41:20 GMT
You may want to look at:

as a branching strategy.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yay, Git. Wait...
>
> I was going to wait to respond until I collected all of the info, but since I still haven't
gotten that done yet, I figured I should just say "sure".

> The one thing I do want to get hammered out is the general workflow we plan to use. I
believe that one "unstable" or "development" branch will satisfy most use cases as we typically
don't have much active development against previous major releases.

> The thing I don't care for (putting it mildly) is long-running minor-release branches.
I'm curious of suggestions that people might have for how to work around this. One possibility
would be to be git-tag heavy while being more lax on official apache releases.

> Merits:
> - Less merging through 2-3 branches which a bug-fix might apply (1.4->1.5->1.6)
> - Less clutter in the branch space (could be moot if we impose some sort of "hierarchy"
in branch names, e.g. bugfixes/ACCUMULO-XXXX, minor/ACCUMULO-XXXX)
> - Quicker availability of fixes for consumers (after a fix, a new tag is made)
>
> Downsides:
> - Could create more work for us as we would be noting new minor releases. Does Christopher's
release work mitigate some/most of this?
> - Creating git-tags without making an official release _might_ skirt a line on ASF releases.
Some artifact that is intended for public consumption is meant to follow the release process.

> Personally, I'd consider making the bold assumption that, over time, we will create the
infrastructure for ourselves to make better and better releases which will also mitigate this.
I'm curious what everyone else thinks.