accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backporting policy proposal
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:43:29 GMT

On 6/18/13 11:26 AM, Adam Fuchs wrote:

>>> Agree, although doesn't the transition to git alleviate the problems with
>>> order of operations?
>>>

>> I don't understand what you mean by "order of operations". If you push a
> commit in 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT that should really be in 1.4.4-SNAPSHOT, Git will
> not handle this well in terms of an accurate history.
>
> I don't really understand either -- that was mostly speculation. Doesn't
> the reliance on hashes of the patch rather than commit IDs make it
> immaterial as to which branch a patch was committed to first? Admitedly, I
> am not an expert on git.
>
> Adam

No, that's incorrect. A commit is uniquely identified by a set of
attributes which, most importantly, include the parent commit. As such,
what you would have typically (happily) done with subversion (`svn merge
-r 12345 .`) has implications to the Git history graph.

The only way to accomplish this in Git is to cherry-pick that commit
which causes multiple unique commits which apply the same changes to
content. This also makes using tools like `git-bisect` much less
effective as a bug introduced in a cherry-pick'ed commit now has
multiple points of introduction instead of a single commit.

In the downtime before we hear back from INFRA, it would be good to read
through the documentation: http://git-scm.com/documentation