accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [git] Documentation and Plan of Action
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 23:18:23 GMT
It's not an empty commit. It's just circumstantial that the changes for
your commit are empty. The fact that you noted "changes X version
version1 should not be applied to version2" is important and that merge
tracks such information.

The same is applicable when version1 and version2 depend on two
different versions of a dependency. Say your new code in version1 calls
a method whose signature changed in said dependency from the version
version1 depends on as opposed to the version of the dependency version2
depends on. Point being, after making the changes in version1, it is
your responsibility to make sure whatever necessary variants exist in
their appropriate versions.

On 06/11/2013 07:10 PM, Mike Drob wrote:
> It was originally a general question, because I wasn't sure on what the
> proper answer.
>
> Actually, I'm still not quite clear - should the person who did the fix for
> Version1 immediately do a merge into Version2 with an empty commit so that
> history looks pretty? Or is it better to wait until the next merge and then
> fix it as it happens? The first option sounds less liable to bite somebody
> in the rear.
>
> Probably worth expounding on the example work-flow in the documentation
> though.
>

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The person who implements the workaround in Version1 should ensure that
>> when Version1 is merged into Version2, the correct code is present in
>> Version2.
>>
>> Do you think this merits a section on the document or was this a general
>> question?
>>

>> On 6/11/13 11:44 AM, Mike Drob wrote:
>>
>>> How do we handle the following situation:
>>>
>>> There are two active development branches - versions 1 and 2. Branch 1
>>> uses
>>> external library  version 7, while Branch 2 uses external library version
>>> 9. It is discovered that version 7 of the external library has a bug, with
>>> a known workaround. In this case, the workaround should be applied to
>>> branch 1, but does not need to be applied to branch 2. What is the
>>> git-friendly way to make these changes, not merge them into the later
>>> branch, but still have a proper history and allow future fixes against
>>> branch 1 to merge cleanly?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Sean,