accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GIT
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 02:16:59 GMT
tl;dr yes and yes

In an effort to continue productive conversation, let's go off of what
Keith was saying about making a branch suffixed with -SNAPSHOT to denote
the provenance of the changes and lifecycle of said branch.

Let's take the 1.4 series as an example:

1.4.4 has been released. The first person finds some changes that should
be placed into a 1.4.5 release. As such, a 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT branch would
be created from the 1.4.4 tag.

`git checkout 1.4.4 && git checkout -b 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT; hack; commit; git
push origin 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT`

After which, 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT would contain a certain number of bug-fixes
until it is deemed appropriate to release 1.4.4.

At which point, we would tag off of the 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT branch, merge the
tag into the 1.5 series and through to the 1.6 series and delete the
remote-tracking 1.4.5-SNAPSHOT branch as it now contains no additional
information not contained by the 1.4.5 tag.