accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GIT
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 20:15:52 GMT
On 6/4/13 2:34 PM, Christopher wrote:
> Personally, I'm fine with not having a super-long running release
> branch, but I like them for a few reasons:
>
> 1. It doesn't force rapid releases that are time-consuming and require
> testing, but we still have that option if we want.
> 2. We can batch a few bugfixes and work on a bugfix release schedule
> for nice-to-have, but not urgent bugfixes (patch Tuesdays? :)
> 3. We're going to create this branch anyway, so we can stabilize
> things for testing prior to release... so why not leave it around for
> bugfixes?
> 4. Pretending we won't have bugfixes for a prior release is possibly
> delusional, and it seems like it doesn't really avoid anything
> regarding merging over multiple branches... when we patch, we'll just
> have to create these branches from their respective tags before we do
> this process. It doesn't seem to save us from this merging process.
>
> In short, I don't think leaving these branches around diverges from
> the proposed branching model... it just keeps them around until we
> decide that branch is EOL. If we leave a branch around until it
> reaches EOL, and we never make a bugfix in it, then no big deal, no
> harm done... just delete the branch at EOL.

I just want to keep make note that this will affect things much more
than previously in SVN as a merge is more than a guess at metadata.

If you have long-lived branches, this necessitates that there are very
many viable options in which a bug-fix can be applied (any branch at
all).  Not keeping these around will force the developer to think about
where their fix is supposed to go (earliest, non-EOL'ed version).

Again, this is mostly a stylistic argument, and where I tend to disagree
with you. :)

> I think branches should be hierarchical for subprojects and contribs,
> as in: contrib/InstamoOrWhatever (unless there's a better way to
> handle contribs...?)

I believe we'll need to make separate repos for subprojects and
contribs. This is one of the things I need to investigate how it's
currently handled. New repos are certainly the easiest to manage.

> I think ticket/feature branches should be deleted after they've merged
> back to develop, and should also be hierarchical, as in:
> feature/ACCUMULO-9001

Works for me.

> As for tags, I'm not comfortable tagging anything we haven't voted on
> as an official release, and I think the time-consuming nature of that
> should be factored in, when considering these long-running bugfix
> branches for a release line.

I personally like being tag-heavy; however, there is a fine line here as
I already stated. There's no reason to not make a tag for something
you're working on in a feature branch that you want to share with
someone else (while you continue work on that feature). They can
checkout that tag which is assumed stable to an extent (the reason you
wanted someone else to pull it in the first place) and then make a
branch if they want to change something.

Point being, I do not want to preclude developers from making tags
unless it's an ASF release as I believe this gimps Git quite a bit. IMO,
for tags, the line should be drawn between "internal" and "external".
Tags advertised or intended for public use should (probably) be voted
on, while internal-only intended (doesn't preclude someone from finding
and downloading themselves) are encouraged.