accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GIT
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 13:07:23 GMT
Yay, Git. Wait...

I was going to wait to respond until I collected all of the info, but
since I still haven't gotten that done yet, I figured I should just say
"sure".

The one thing I do want to get hammered out is the general workflow we
plan to use. I believe that one "unstable" or "development" branch will
satisfy most use cases as we typically don't have much active
development against previous major releases.

The thing I don't care for (putting it mildly) is long-running
minor-release branches. I'm curious of suggestions that people might
have for how to work around this. One possibility would be to be git-tag
heavy while being more lax on official apache releases.

Merits:
- Less merging through 2-3 branches which a bug-fix might apply
(1.4->1.5->1.6)
- Less clutter in the branch space (could be moot if we impose some sort
of "hierarchy" in branch names, e.g. bugfixes/ACCUMULO-XXXX,
minor/ACCUMULO-XXXX)
- Quicker availability of fixes for consumers (after a fix, a new tag is
made)

Downsides:
- Could create more work for us as we would be noting new minor
releases. Does Christopher's release work mitigate some/most of this?
- Creating git-tags without making an official release _might_ skirt a
line on ASF releases. Some artifact that is intended for public
consumption is meant to follow the release process.

Personally, I'd consider making the bold assumption that, over time, we
will create the infrastructure for ourselves to make better and better
releases which will also mitigate this. I'm curious what everyone else
thinks.

I'll try to make time tonight to get info on all of the necessary below.