accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dave Marion" <dlmar...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 00:54:00 GMT

 +1 with reservations. This seems like a big API change, not because our dependency changes,
but doesn't it force all consumers to change to Java 7 as well if new language features are
used in the client? Looks like Java 6 compiled iterators should work without change.

 I wonder if would make sense to:

 - move client to its own module (out of core),
 - build a Java 6 distribution of the client in addition to the Java 7 release, and
 - refrain from using Java 7 features in the client until a 2.0 release

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Busbey [mailto:busbey@cloudera.com]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 7:05 PM
To: dev@accumulo.apache.org
Subject: Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>

Also, some quick searching leads me to believe that 1.6 bytecode will run
> on a 1.7 JVM, but not vice versa. Does anyone know if this is the
> case? I apologize if I'm bringing up an already-discussed subject.
> <snip>

Just to confirm, the JDK7 compatibility guide says JDK7 compiled code won't work on a Java
6 VM[1]:

> The class file version for Java SE 7 is 51, as per the JVM
> Specification,
because of the invokedynamic byte code
> introduced by JSR 292. Version 51 class files produced by the Java SE
> 7
compiler cannot be used in Java SE 6.

[1]:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/compatibility-417013.html#binary