accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GIT
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 14:57:49 GMT
This[1] has been working out well for me at work. We recently made the
change from SVN to Git. Looking back, I think most problems we ran into
were due to people not thinking about where their fix/feature should go
which tended to cause a storm of cherry-picks.

Fast-forward to the present, I think it's been working out pretty well
for us with the clear definitions of, given a fixVersion for some unit
of work, what branch does it said work get committed to.

We also had much discussion about the naming of long-standing branches.
In hindsight, I think better tying branch names to the "quality" of the
code which should be there is best (stable, unstable, etc). I really
dislike the notion of having 1.4, 1.5, etc branches like we have in
subversion as this paradigm doesn't map to git (1.5 *has* all of 1.4 and
git knows this). This is likely another discussion we'll have.

[1] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/