accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Releasing 1.5
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:41:20 GMT
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't think there are any issues with having binary-compatible releases
> > as it's the same source underneath.
> >
> > In other words, our source doesn't change whether we compile against CDH,
> > HDP, Apache, etc. That makes me think that we should be fine in creating
> > binary-only releases for the Hadoop offshoots from a licensing
> standpoint.
> >

> I suspect one thing we can not do is endorse any
> particular commercial product thats based on Hadoop.  Would creating an
> Apache Accumulo distribution targeted at Cloudera (and not MapR or
> Hortonworks) be considered endorsing Cloudera?

I don't see a problem so long as you don't favor a vendor. You are correct
that 'endorse' in the crude sense of writing text that says that it's
wonderful would be bad. But providing tests that allow certification
against one or more 'distros' seems fine, so long as it's clear that the
tent is open for contributions of the same thing for other targets.

However, keep in mind that there's considerable discontent about the use of
the term  'Hadoop distribution' by Cloudera and friends, so best not to
step in that.

In my view, you'd solicit contributions of test / certification harness
material from all comers. I think it would be a problem to add dependencies
to the standard build to them -- it should be an optional step.

Just my two cents.

> > On 4/25/13 3:57 PM, Keith Turner wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM, John Vines <vines@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >>  Except we need to consider accessibility and the amount of pain we may
> be

> hurt

> >> follow any Apache rules, if there are any.  Would a binary release of
> >> Accumulo made by Apache for cloudera's version of Hadoop be ok?  Is it
> ok
> >> to do this for Cloudera Hadoop and not Hortonworks or MapR hadoop?
> >>
> >> Only creating binary release for Apache Hadoop versions and striving to
> >> ensure our source builds against as many downstream versions as possible
> >> is
> >> one option.

> Hadoop

> our