accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <billie.rina...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shell documentation appendix
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 02:09:22 GMT
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org> wrote:

> I noticed that there's a script that grabs shell output and builds an
> appendix for the user manual PDF. However, that doesn't appear to be
> automated as part of the documentation build profile.
>
> So, the questions are:
> 1) Do we need this?

Well, it's kind of nice to have all the usage collected together.  I feel
like I've looked something up there, but not for a while.  Does anyone else
use it?  It doesn't just run `help`, it gets the full command listing from
`help` and then runs help on each command.

> 2) Does it need to be run manually?

It doesn't need to be updated very often.  Whether it could be automated
depends on the state of accumulo --fake.

> Also, I guess there's some extra steps to convert the LaTeX source for
> the PDF into HTML... regarding that:

I like having the manual as html in addition to pdf.  I'm playing around
with asciidoc to see if it supports everything we need for the manual.  It
would be much better not to have to do the latex to html process again.

Billie