accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From John Vines <vi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC proposal: Ambari for Accumulo - forever : )
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:30:34 GMT
The init.d scripts we provide are well tested, provided you have accumulo
installed into /usr/lib. There is probably room for improvement to utilize
/etc/defaults/accumulo to make it configurable. This makes them not
configurable with the existing RPM packaging internal to Accumulo. And
Ambari uses the init.d scripts to start/stop things.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm pretty sure Ambari is pretty tightly
integrated with Bigtop. There is an Accumulo ticket for bigtop support (
Accumulo-138 ). I went ahead and threw a patch on there in which the RPM
generated has been tested (the deb is lacking though). Furthermore, they do
not use the given Accumulo init.d scripts, so there may be room for
improvement in there somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Should you need to work down that path more, I can definitely provide more
guidance.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Yes. I was going to work with Accumulo 1.4, but it is good to know that
> the
> > loggers are not supported in 1.5.
> >
> > *3.1.3
> >   Accumulo supports reading system config from xml local file and then
> > zookeeper (whats set in zookeeper takes precedence).  The nice thing
> about
> > setting something a config zookeeper, is that process restart is not
> > required.*
> >
> > Good to know this too.  Does this only affect Zookeeper?  I should
> > distinguish between processes that may need restarts to load a
> > configuration vs those that do not.  Is the Zookeeper process the only
> one
> > like that?
> >

> Not sure about zookeeper, I think it requires a restart.  Accumulo can
> optionally store a lot of its configuration in zookeeper.  When Accumulo
> configuration stored in zookeeper is changed, Accumulo processes may pick
> up these config changes immediately w/o restart.   Some properties do
> require a restart when changed in zookeeper.  This is documented in
> Accumulo config documentation.
>

> > *For section 3.2, are you proposing adding features to the existing
> Ambari
> > GUI?  If so, are the Accumulo specific?*
> >
> > I am proposing to add features to the existing Ambari GUI.  The idea here
> > is that something like user access controls can be generalized so that
> any
> > Hadoop component being managed by Ambari is able to utilize them.  I'm
> > hoping that the Ambari PMC is OK with me doing this.  I do not want to
> > introduce any Accumulo-specific features that would make no sense for
> other
> > components.
> > *
> > It seems that Ambari relies on RPMs.  Its possible you may have to spend
> > time creating Accumulo RPMs that are useful for Ambari. You may want to
> > think about allocating some time for this.  Christopher and John can give
> > you more info about the current state of Accumulo RPMs.*
> >
> > This is a very good point.  While building RPMs is not difficult, it does
> > require time to setup the configuration and test the builds.  I will
> > include time for this in the proposal.
> >

> I suppose I am really thinking about are scripts for starting and stopping
> Accumulo.  For an RPM to be useful it should provide good /etc/init.d
> scripts for starting and stopping Accumulo processes.   I am not sure what
> the status of these scripts is in the various RPMs built by Accumulo.  This
> may not even be a concern, I am not sure how Ambari starts and stop
> services.   If you have not already, its something to consider when
> scheduling.
>

> > Thanks again, Keith.
> >
> > Andres
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > About the REST API, I meant to ask if this could be used from the

and the