accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Shell prompts
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 21:13:31 GMT
% accumulo shell -u root -
26 17:08:35,072 [impl.DefaultFileSystemManager] INFO : Using
"/tmp/foobar" as temporary files store.
Enter password - the password for the principal: ***********************
Enter principal - option field to provide the principal, mostly used for
better debug statements:

This is new to me. Seems... a little strange to get prompted for
something that will give me better debug statements. Actually, to be
honest, I have no idea what that even means or why I would care when I
want to just open the shell.

Can anyone give an explanation as to what this is actually doing? Is it
something that we want to prompt for the user for all the time?

I could see this raising a lot of confusion for the normal ZooKeeper
authentication mechanism.