accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC Project
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 17:17:21 GMT
Supun,

Yup, you've caught on a bit to what I was getting at.

The monitor, as Eric hinted as, grew out of necessity for debugging and
development purposes of Accumulo. Functionality is typically added from
a "it would be nice to know X" stance. Along this line, this is how
ACCUMULO-594 came about.

Thinking about optimizing the time we contribute to Accumulo, not having
to write our own monitoring presentation would, theoretically, free up
our time to work on issues inside of Accumulo. This is where the "kill
the monitor" ticket comes from. Personally, creating functionality to
hook up Accumulo to other presentation systems supplements what the
monitor already shows, and it would take many Accumulo releases to
generate enough confidence in a complete replacement that would merit
remove of the existing monitor.

Now, from your stance, it's up to you to decide what interests you most.
Don't be afraid that contributions made to the Accumulo monitor will be
invalidated. Any additions that Eric mentioned (not to mention many more
that we haven't thought of) would be immediately useful for users. If
you're familiar with other pieces of monitoring software and would like
to work on connecting it to Accumulo, that'd be great too!

Perhaps we can move towards what you'd like to get out of this
experience and try to tailor the goals to meet that?