accumulo-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Drew Farris <drew.far...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Releasing 1.5.0
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:23:25 GMT
+1 for Jan 18th as well
On Nov 22, 2012 10:07 PM, "Christopher Tubbs" <ctubbsii@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 for Jan 18th.
>
>
> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Christopher Tubbs <ctubbsii@gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > I recommend putting the feature freeze at the middle or end of January.
> > If
> > > it's January 1st, it might as well be December 15th, given that may not
> > do
> > > very much feature development over the holiday season. Also, given that
> > > 1.4.2 has recently been released, I don't know that we've allowed
> enough
> > > time to catch additional bugs and feedback from 1.4.2 to incorporate
> into
> > > 1.5.0.
> > >
> >
> >
> > Thats fine with me.  Just need to get a date settled so we can plan our
> > work around it.  A few thoughts
> >
> >    - I think it should be a Friday, so maybe Jan 18.   Testing could
> start
> >    following Mon
> >    - 1.5.0 will have bugs that 1.4.X will never have and we
> >    will inevitably have a 1.5.1.
> >    - I suspect whatever day we go with, we may push back on it a little
> >    bit.  But maybe not.
> >    - After feature freeze date we will likely spend at least 4 weeks
> >    testing and fixing bugs, during that time bugs found in 1.4.2 can
> still
> > be
> >    fixed for 1.5.0.
> >    - I just looked at when 1.4.0 was released and I found that Billie
> sent
> >    out an email announcing it on April 11.  So 1.5.0 would come a little
> > less
> >    than a year later if released at end of February.
> >
> > With Jan 18th if you assume two weeks are shot for the holidays after
> > thanksgiving, then that gives us 6 weeks.
> >
> > So is everyone ok w/ Jan 18th for 1.5.0 feature freeze?
> >
> > Keith
> >
> >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Christopher L Tubbs II
> > > http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
> > >
> > >
> > > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:21 PM, John Vines <vines@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > >  > +generic authentication/authorization plugin infrastructure (is
> this
> > > > related to how Kerberos will be supported?)
> > > >
> > > > This is ACCUMULO-259
> > > >
> > > > >I broke the MapR compatibility when I started logging to HDFS; I
> know
> > > what
> > > > >needs to be done (cribbing from HBase's code), but I've not done it
> > yet.
> > > > > The MapR guys volunteered to test the update.
> > > >
> > > > I also have access to a MapR cluster so I can do live debugging as
> > well.
> > > >
> > > > John
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Eric Newton <eric.newton@gmail.com>
> > > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > > Tested compatibility with MapR
> > > > >
> > > > > I broke the MapR compatibility when I started logging to HDFS; I
> know
> > > > what
> > > > > needs to be done (cribbing from HBase's code), but I've not done
it
> > > yet.
> > > > >  The MapR guys volunteered to test the update.
> > > > >
> > > > > -Eric
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Adam Fuchs <afuchs@apache.org>
> > > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > +1
> > > > > >
> > > > > > My wishlist includes:
> > > > > > +Hadoop 2.0 support
> > > > > > +kerberos support
> > > > > > +generic authentication/authorization plugin infrastructure
> > > > > > +thrift proxy
> > > > > > +time and visibility block indexing in RFile
> > > > > > +HDFS classloader
> > > > > > +Tested compatibility with MapR, HDP, and CDH
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Other nice-to-haves would be:
> > > > > > +Memory-to-memory compactions
> > > > > > +Prefix encoding for RFile
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Adam
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com>
> > > > wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > I am thinking we should start thinking about releasing
1.5.0.
>  We
> > > > have
> > > > > a
> > > > > > > lot of good stuff in trunk.   Some features that I think
people
> > > would
> > > > > > like
> > > > > > > in 1.5 are still in flight.  What do people think about
> setting a
> > > > > feature
> > > > > > > freeze date for 1.5?  I think this would be a good idea
and
> > propose
> > > > > Jan 1
> > > > > > > as a feature freeze date for 1.5.   Once we decide on a
date,
> > > > everyone
> > > > > > can
> > > > > > > use that date to make decisions about what they want to
work on
> > for
> > > > the
> > > > > > > remaining time.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > In the past after feature freeze we have entered test mode
and
> > bug
> > > > fix
> > > > > > > mode, which has usually taken 1 to 2 months.   So based
on past
> > > > > > experience,
> > > > > > > a feature freeze date of Jan 1. would like result in a
release
> of
> > > > 1.5.0
> > > > > > > sometime during February.  In the past we have also updated
> > > > > documentation
> > > > > > > after feature freeze and written new automated tests, in
> addition
> > > to
> > > > > > > finding and fixing issues.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Some of the outstanding features on my wishlist for 1.5
are
> > thrift
> > > > > proxy,
> > > > > > > HDFS classloader, and Kerberose :)
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Keith
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message