accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrone, Dennis S." <Dennis.Patr...@jhuapl.edu>
Subject IteratorSetting and priorities
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:02:44 GMT
Hi all,

Is there a reason that ScannerOptions only allows a single iterator per priority value?  It
seems that multiple iterators added at the same priority could just be executed in an arbitrary
order by the system.

I have a ScannerBase that gets passed around through several classes.  These classes add different
filters (for different reasons) to the scanner based on the particular request being processed
and user configuration.  Requiring only one filter per priority imposes a dependency among
the different classes managing the filters.  They have to coordinate to make sure no one reuses
the same priority.

I'd rather be able to set priorities based on the (expected) selectivity of the filter only
within the class adding a subset of the filters, and let the cross-'domain' filtering priorities
be managed automatically by Accumulo.

Even worse, the ScannerBase API does not provide access to the already-added IteratorSettings
or even the min/max iterator priority, so I have no way AFAICT to ensure via the API that
my iterator priority is not in conflict with an existing priority.  I have to manage the priority
value through an unenforceable convention... and wait for a RuntimeException(!) to tell me
when the convention is violated.

I think minimally an accessor method needs to be added so I can ensure my priority isn't going
to clash and cause an IllegalArgumentException.

Ideally, I'd like to see filters added at the same priority allowed and just executed in some
arbitrary order (or some well-defined order within the priority, e.g., in order they were
added?).

I'd be willing to contribute some updates for this, but before I started I wanted to see if
this is reasonable, if anyone else thinks it is a good idea, or if there are real valid reasons
only one iterator per priority is allowed.

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis Patrone
The Johns Hopkins University / Applied Physics Laboratory
240-228-2285 / Washington
443-778-2285 / Baltimore
443-220-7190 / Cell
dennis.patrone@jhuapl.edu<mailto:dennis.patrone@jhuapl.edu>