accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting Charset in getBytes() call.
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 22:27:59 GMT
On 10/29/2012 10:47 PM, David Medinets wrote:

> The code compiles and the tests run. I don't see any reason why I
> should not commit my work to the trunk for v1.5.0. I don't want to
> cause disharmony but I can't see the harm. And even if my change
> causes some problem, wouldn't it be better to know that while v1.5.0
> is still being actively developed?

My issue with this is that you have now hard-coded the fact that
everyone else is going to use UTF-8. Yes, it most likely won't affect
any compilation or tests (or even 90% of users), but I do not agree that
this is the best way to fix the problem. I still contest that setting
the desired encoding (via the appropriate JVM property like Bill Slacum
initial suggested) is the proper way to address the issue.

I don't feel like we ever actually came to a consensus on this discussion.