accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Parisi <m...@accumulo.net>
Subject Re: CryptDB - FYI - it might be inspirational for Accumulo encryption architecture
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 01:14:40 GMT
The link to the code is:  https://github.com/phrocker/OhCryptorMyCryptor

This is a singular proof of concept. I have another with a decrypting
iterator and one that is more advanced that takes visibilities into
question. As it is here, all keys are visible to the main user. It was
simply a proof of concept that was hacked together quickly months ago ( I
only encrypt value, not key ), definitely not production quality. Unlike
creating an HDFS interconnect for at rest encryption, this approach
minimizes the raw data surface. That is, only the client actually uses the
secret key to decrypt the data. My other approach opened up the value and
keys at the iterator stack, meaning you could retrieve decrypted data at
the tablet servers from system memory.

I ripped this code out of a large project I have on one machine ( hence why
I have no project ). I haven't cleaned it up, but I made sure it compiles.
I tested the CryptoTest class. It works.

As I said earlier, a metakey is used to store the encrypted symmetric key.
this can be used to share encrypted data. Therefore, if you're building
a healthcare system ( for example ), and you want to share patient data
across doctor's offices, you could..and without duplicating the data.

I doubt the code will be helpful, but if it is, more power to you.