accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Billie Rinaldi <bil...@apache.org>
Subject Re: feedback on Typo
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:34:18 GMT
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Keith Turner <keith@deenlo.com> wrote:

> I put together a simple abstraction layer for Accumulo that makes it
> easier to read and write Java objects to Accumulo key and value
> fields.  The data written to Accumulo sort correctly
> lexicographically.
>
> I put the code on github and would like some feedback on the design
> and whether it should be included with Accumulo.
>
> https://github.com/keith-turner/typo
>
> Its still a little rough and I need to add encoder for all of the
> primitive types.
>
> Keith

Looks interesting.  It would be nice to have the TypedValueCombiner use the
same Encoder, which leads to the question of where we should put this.  If
Typo is moved to contrib, perhaps the TypedValueCombiner should be there,
too.  Another option might be a submodule of examples.  It would be nice to
have a set of standard encodings shipped with Accumulo.

I'd like to discuss the LexEncoder.  It is an Encoder that preserves sort
order, but it doesn't have a way to enforce or test the sorting, or even to
encourage the preservation of sort order except through the javadoc.  Is
there anything we can do about this?  We could at least make some reusable
testing patterns, but it would be nice if we could do more.

Billie