accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <josh.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Vote For A) README_UBUNTU B) "Compiling on Ubuntu" In README
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 01:36:10 GMT
Neither

Like Keith said, I'm not a fan of clustering documentation at the top
level, especially linux distribution specific readmes. Accumulo is
agnostic of the target flavor of linux, as such it doesn't make sense to
keep such guidance beside the source code. As Dave said, I also agree
that the user/developer manual doesn't make sense. I like the current
top-level README. Succinct enough to not drive people away, and gives
the necessary basic information to get up and running.

I think adding Ubuntu specific information to the accumulo.apache.org
site would be a good place to host this kind of information. You could
easily add a section which includes linux distribution specifics/quirks.