accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: Hierarchical Visibility Strings
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:56:18 GMT
Ed,

Seems like a good, standard way to avoid name collisions.   I do not
think 1.4 is right place, 1.4.X release should mainly be bug fixes.

At some point we had a detailed discussion about allowing more
characters in the labels.  The con is that it takes away from future
flexibility of the language.  I was advocating for supporting quoting
and escaping labels instead taking away reserved chars.  So support
expressions like  : 'vis://A/B' & 'vis://A/C'   where you can put any
char between the quotes as long as quotes are properly escaped.
There are a few standard escaping mechanisms we could choose from.

Adding quoting should be done in a backwards compatible way.

Keith