accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From David Arsenault <darsena...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Storing Geospatial Tiles in Accumulo Question
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 02:12:17 GMT
Susan

Recently had a discussion about a great geo "trick" for Accumulo. As you know Accumulo maintains
a sorted set of rows based on RowID, ColFam, ColQual. If you had data with LAT/LON values
and you interlace the digits (fake coods example: lat 203.5, lon 127.1 --> 210237.51),
it turns out that sorting keeps close points together in the table space. It only works for
points not tiles, but perhaps you may want some analytics on center points of tiles or perhaps
you want to efficiently index points of interest for structures or other features.

Best,
David Arsenault
The MITRE Corporation

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 26, 2012, at 9:31, "Thistlethwaite, Susan - IS" <Susan.Thistlethwaite@exelisinc.com>
wrote:

> ALCON:
>
> My team has been tasked with ingesting/retrieving geospatial tiles to/from Accumulo.
>
> I know others are using Z-Order or Hilbert Curves for storing geospatial points.  Do
you know of others who are working with tiles/polygons/shape files?

> W/r
> Susan Thistlethwaite
> Software-Systems Engineer
> ITT Exelis
> 12975 Worldgate Dr.
> Herndon, VA 20170
> 571-332-2662 cell
> 703-668-6539 office
> SusanT@exelisinc.com<mailto:SusanT@exelisinc.com> email

> Email addresses of ITT Exelis employees have changed from itt.com to exelisinc.com. Please
update your favorites and contact information to reflect these changes.

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this
e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented
in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Exelis
Inc. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
Exelis Inc. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.