accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: Python client lib for Accumulo?
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 16:27:23 GMT
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Jason Trost <jason.trost@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that there are no JIRAs for a python client
> interface/lib/API for Accumulo.  How involved would it be to develop
> AND maintain a python client for Accumulo?
>
> I realize that Jython can be used, but I am interested in a native
> python lib that can be use more broadly with systems that don't work
> with Jython.
>
> In order to do this, it seems like we would need to:
> 1. generate the python thrift bindings code (this is trivial)
> 2. develop and maintain the python glue code to use the thrift code
> and python zookeeper code to interact with the various accumulo
> components.  The current Java "glue" code looks quite long.  How often
> does this code change (in terms of new features or changes in
> protocol, not bug fixes)?

I would advise against rewriting the accumulo client code in python.
The code that finds tablets, retries in case of failure, parallelizes
read/writes, etc is fairly complex.  I think the proxy option is best.
 David and Eric mentioned REST and Thrift proxies.

If we were to go to down the route of writing the client code in
another language, I think C++ with a C API would be the best option
because many language can easily bind to a C API.