accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Van Geertruy <mvangeert...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Windows/Intell-J
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 04:50:52 GMT
Bob,

I tried to do the same thing last October. Accumulo itself isn't the
problem when it comes to getting it to work on Windows. The problem is
all the other applications that Accumulo relies on to work. For example,
I was unable to find a good port of hadoop, or hmap. All of these
applications were written with a target of linux/mac.  So, I eventually
abandoned the idea.

Instead, I downloaded the free VMWare VMPlayer, installed Cent-OS into
it and just deployed the entire suite of products Hadoop uses into
that.  (This process is called building a virtual appliance.) My laptop
was a very inexpensive one (RIP), all I did was upgrade the ram to 8
gigs, reserving 6 Gigs for VMWare and my virtual appliance.  All of the
components I list above are open-source. The only sticky thing was that
Oracles JDK license doesn't allow you to package it into a Virtual
appliance that your'e going to distribute. So, as long as you're not
going to sell the pre-configured VApp, you should be fine using the
Oracle JDK.

Hope that help!

Mike Van
Committer - Apache Software Foundation