accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Fuchs <adam.p.fu...@ugov.gov>
Subject Re: Time based locality groups
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 17:08:58 GMT
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Billie J Rinaldi <billie.j.rinaldi@ugov.gov
> wrote:

> There are iterators that change the column family filter set, so I'm wary
> of automatically deciding which iterators can be pulled down into the file.

Do you have specific examples of iterators that change the column family
filter set? I think those are going to be the hard cases that we should
consider.

If we think of this as purely an optimization with no changes to
correctness, then we can limit the automatic decisions to those things that
we understand well. Modifications to the API can help us cut out a bunch of
behaviors that we don't understand and are unnecessary and rarely used. If
those things that we do understand well cover most of the cases in practice
then this is probably a good approach, but I'd really like to see things
that don't fit the model.

Adam