accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accumulo-1.4.0-incubating RC5
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:08:12 GMT
-1

I have been experimenting with RC5 and running continuous ingest. I
noticed it was not keeping much data in memory.  When a tablet server
had lots of tablets it was writing out really small files.  I tracked
down the cause of this, the walog max size is set to 100M.  Also a
tablet will compact after it has 3 walogs.  In effect this limits the
tablet server to 300M of memory even though its configured to use 1G.

The files in <acumulo>/conf/examples all set the walog to 100M.
These config changes were made late in the game after a lot of testing
was done.  While these configs may be good for running accumulo on a
laptop, none of them are good for running on a cluster w/ reasonable
nodes.  I want to see 1.4 released, but I also want user to have a
good experience out of the box. That is why I am voting -1 on this.
We should provide the config that we tested with as an example which
is good for servers.

Keith