accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Cordova <aa...@cordovas.org>
Subject Java
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:00:58 GMT
So, you may or may not have noticed, but Oracle is making it harder and harder to install the
Sun Java SDK on Linux. It's not available in any repo for ubuntu anymore for example.  Also,
someone at a recent Hadoop Meetup mentioned that Oracle's official support for Sun Java 1.6
might be expiring soon .. ?

Some Linux distros are claiming that OpenJDK is good enough. The day before yesterday I installed
Cloudera Hadoop, ZooKeeper and built Accumulo 1.4 from source on a Virtual machine running
Ubuntu Maverick with OpenJDK and it seemed to run fine. But I haven't done any rigorous testing
yet.

Are there any plans to add testing of OpenJDK to Accumulo? Does anyone anticipate any problems
in switching to a new JVM?

There are others besides OpenJDK, IBM Jrockit I think, etc. .. although I only think it's
important to support the one most users are likely to need, and that's looking less like Sun
JDK and more like OpenJDK.

One other reason to perhaps look at OpenJDK is that it might make it easier for someone to
create a more pure distribution of the whole stack, from a licensing perspective.

Aaron