accumulo-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Troxell <steven.trox...@gmail.com>
Subject Distributing the
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 20:11:34 GMT
Hi all,

Phil and I are working on a grad project for a distributed systems class,
using accumulo.  One part of the project involves attempting to distribute
the load balancer so it no longer must be run on master.  We wanted to just
propose our idea to get feedback, and perhaps a few pointers.  What I'm
thinking of is modifying/moving the balnace code form accumulo.server.master
to accumulo.server.   We would then be treating the load balancing as a
critical resource, and develop a layer implementing a mutual exclusion
algorithm to determine which tablet server gets to run the load balancer.
What I'm thinking right now is using an election algorithm, that essentially
randomly selects a server at startup.  Other servers would then verify this
server is up and running, and upon detecting it down, implement the election
to determine which server the load balancing moves to. Does this sound like
a good idea, are there any paritcular design aspects of accumulo we should
be aware of in attempting to implement this?  Additionally we're still
familarizing ourselves with the codebase, it would be helpful if someone
could point us to where some of the current tserver synchronization takes
place, so we can follow existing conventions.  I imagine something similar
to the election algorithm/ tserver's resolving mutual exclusion that we
propose already occurs for some other aspect of accumulo?

thanks in advance for feedback/insight

-Steve and Phil